- Brooklyn, NY 10/15/2015 by Berthold Reimers, Station Manager (WBAI)
JOB STATUS: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union
SALARY: $53,000-$60,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the General Manager, the Program Director is a member of the Station’s management team with responsibility for overseeing programming on our community based radio station.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Arranging staff training and making recommendations for staffing levels, hiring and firing.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
A. Supervise all programming for the station including developing programming philosophy and policies;
B. Develop and institute a program evaluation system;
C. Coordinate programming needs with Operations and Administration;
D. Communicate with staff and volunteers;
E. Coordinate programming with other Pacifica stations and participate in development of national programming;
F. Supervise Programming staff in accordance with individual and union contracts;
G. Develop Audience Research;
H. Communicate with members of local community and membership including participating in off-air fund raising and community events
I. Participate in development of budget and ensure programming department operates within budget;
J. Participate as a member of the WBAI management team; and
K. Other job duties as may be assigned by the General Manager.
The following is intended to provide examples of specific responsibilities that may be assigned to the Program Director. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or working conditions
A. Supervise programming format
1. Develop programming philosophy and policies in collaboration with local staff
2. Improve air sound.
3. Solicit and evaluate program proposals
4. Make final programming decisions
5. Ensure compliance with FCC and Pacifica rules and regulations
6. Coordinate the development of pledge drives and special programs
7. Evaluate performance of each program in terms of production values, compliance with mission, ability to attract audience, and ability to attract financial support
8. Participate in the development of national programs
9. Discuss plans, programming and process regularly with staff
B. Participate in the appeals process of the Program Council regarding evaluation and program changes
C. Staff Development and Supervision
1. Upgrade staff skills and develop media training
2. Attend and/or lead staff meetings as necessary
3. Facilitate entry of graduate apprentices into programming and other departments
D. Community Relations
1. Participate in off-air fund raising and community events
2. Select and acquire premiums in consultation with the General Manager
3. Espouse the rights and promote the interests of groups inadequately represented in the media
4. Attend Program Council meetings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be knowledgeable about radio programming and able to listen to station programming throughout the week including evenings and weekends
Must be willing to work in excess of 40 hours per week, in the evenings and on some weekends
Must be highly motivated, possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and be capable of leadership by example
Must be able to work in a collegial professional manner with a diverse workforce, members of the local and national boards and members of the community.
Must have knowledge of industry (audience research, broadcast management, etc.)
Must have experience interacting with community-based organizations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
College degree preferred
Five years’ experience in broadcasting, management, and related field(s) required
Experience managing diverse workforce required.
Physical Effort/Dexterity: (Employees/Candidates whose disabilities make them unable to meet these requirements will still be considered fully qualified if they can perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation).
TYPICAL REQUIREMENTS ASSOCIATED WITH SIMILAR POSITIONS
Visual Acuity, Hearing, Speaking: (Employees/Candidates whose disabilities make them unable to meet these requirements will still be considered fully qualified if they can perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation).
For queries or to apply for this position, please submit a detailed letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. All letters will be acknowledged.
Pacifica Foundation/WBAI is an equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status. Pacifica Foundation/WBAI provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants seeking reasonable accommodations in the hiring process should contact the Program Director Search Subcommittee at the above address.